Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Highlight #174: No brunch - Restaurant: Crawfish Shack

I hate fighting with the crowd on days when everyone goes out to eat. As such, J and I have never celebrated Valentine's day in a restaurant and I've never partaken in a mother's day brunch not cooked at home. This mother's day, I had an idea for some interactive fun.

A few weeks ago, I was hankering for some crawfish and did a little searching online that turned up a place called Crawfish Shack on Buford highway. Apparently a Vietnamese family immigrated to Louisiana some years ago and learned the trick of the crawfish and have now settled in our town. So on mother's day, J and I drove to the little place in a new row of shops perpendicular to Buford Highway (making them hard to spot from the main road) and packed home a big bag of the stuff. At $4.99 a pound, it's fairly reasonable for each person to get his or her fill. While I am the nibbler in all other aspects, when it comes to peel and eat things, I can put away more than my share. A 4-5 lb batch would be perfect for me.

These were seasoned very well Cajun style and lean towards the slightly spicy. It's not too salty, a problem I find with many boils. The crawfish were of fair quality, but definitely less plump than what I have gotten at my friends A and C's house when the crawfish come live from C's mother's own water in Louisiana. Of course, such a comparison is fundamentally unfair, so I'll just say that these were a satisfying bunch that squirted us with their juices, dirtied our hands with their spices, and provided for a very fun mother's day.

Crawfish Shack
4337 Buford Hwy, Suite 170
Atlanta, GA 30341
(404) 929-6789

No comments: