Sunday, May 25, 2008

Daily highlight #4: Surprisingly moist - Bakery: Kalonji

Nine times out of ten, when faced with a decision between a cupcake and a regular slice, I'd go for the later. As pretty as the cupcakes tend to look, most of the time, I bite through to find dried-out innards. This is of course not to say that I'd turn down a pretty little treat in the middle of the afternoon, especially on a Friday afternoon when the day seems endless.

Lady J knew this well and brought me this little treat right around that four o'clock mark when desperation starts to set in. Her friend had gotten a bunch of these from a small bakery near Stone Mountain called Kalonji. Having never heard of it, I wasn't expecting much. The expectation rose tremendously when I picked up the cake and found it quite hefty for its size and squishy to the touch, sure signs of a moist crumb. Sure enough, one bite confirmed the incredible moistness of the yellow lemon cake. And the moistness didn't seem to come from an overwhelming amount of butter - there wasn't the accompanying richness. Instead, it almost seemed as if someone had doused the cake in a bit of lemon syrup prior to frosting. Whatever it was, it was successful in preserving the tender crumb without turning the whole thing mushy. The frosting, I also adorned. It's a simple lemon buttercream made special by the controlled butter to sugar balance. It impressed by being just rich enough and not toothache-inducing. The lemon favor came through fresh and vibrant. Every bite urged me on to take another.

I shall definitely go to the bakery and check out some other siblings of this little gem.

Kolonji Bakery
4757 Stone Mountain HWY, Ste 400
Lilburn, GA 30047
770-710-0532

No comments: