Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Daily highlight #47: last braise perhaps?

I've been resisting giving up the braises this summer. As the temperature outside went higher, I cranked up the AC inside to balance out the heat from the oven.

A pineapple smelled pretty good at the market and inspired this drumstick dish I have not made in a long time. The drumsticks were marinated for about half an hour in a mix of light soy, black pepper, roasted sesame oil, Chinese cooking wine, and some corn starch. In a pot with some oil, I lightly fried some garlic cloves and ginger slices then added the drumsticks. When evenly browned on all side, I put in about a cup of water along with 1/2 t dark soy, 1/2 tb light soy, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t fish sauce. When everything came to a boil, I added about a cup of small pineapple chunks and braised over medium heat for about 25 minutes.

Then it was time to scoop over fresh rice. Maybe this will be the last braise of the season, then again, maybe not.

No comments: