Friday, July 25, 2008

Daily highlight #62: The beans matter - Restaurant: Papi's

On my way home earlier this week, I had the incredible urge for rice and beans. Too afraid of standing still in traffic on such a hot day, I did the easy thing, I stopped by Papi's on my short drive home.

The special tilapia sounded good, especially when I was told that it came with rice, beans, and fried plantains. To my surprise, the tilapia was fried. Not that I didn't want fried, I just didn't quite imagine it that way. Well, surprised or not, it was a fantastic piece of fish. The seasoning went all through the flesh under a crunchy crust that was none too greasy. The fried plantains were plump, sweet, and not overly starchy. But best of all, the beans were superbly flavorful and thoroughly imbued the white rice with savory tastiness. When generously spread over everything else, the beans tied all the other elements together for a very satisfying dinner.

Papi's
216 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
404-607-1525

No comments: