Thursday, August 13, 2009

Highlight #209: A very competent cuban sandwich - Restaurant: Tiny Bistro

Ever since Havana Sandwich Shop closed due to fire, I have been hoping to find another reliable place to go for a simple cuban sandwich. As of this week, Tiny is on the list. What I like about this version is that it doesn't try to be out of the box. There is no more filling than the requisite ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, but each is of good quality, especially the roasted pork, the element that tends to be dry, was moist and flavorful. The majority of the pleasure I derive from eating a good cuban sandwich is from the bread. The satisfying crunch from a good press is what puts the smile on my face. I heard that the bread here comes from New Orleans. I am not sure if New Orleans categorically makes better bread, but this one is definitely wonderful when pressed. Another thing to note is that this sandwich was pressed flat, the way that cuban sandwiches are supposed to be done in my mind. This seems to be a detail that was consciously thought out, since my friend Debra's pressed turkey sandwich got the press grill marks as shown below.

What you see here is actually a half sandwich, so I imagine the whole one is big enough for a growing boy.
I had meant to ask for the broccoli salad, but failed during execution. Debra, however, remembered to ask for her side of cucumber salad. I didn't taste it, but it looked pretty and fresh.

Tiny Bistro
1039 Marietta St
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 745-9561

No comments: