Thursday, August 27, 2009

Highlight #221: Fast breakfast in Shanghai

Eight hours after touching down in Shanghai, I managed a quick breakfast, a midday meeting, and then was off to Singapore to spend the weekend with the husband and mom-in-law. Not able to venture too far from where I was staying in Shanghai, my breakfast options were limited. Luckily, there is a Yong Hei Soy Milk installation nearby.

A successful chain from Taiwan, Yong Hei focuses on freshly blended soy milk of all forms. You can have yours cold, hot, sweet, or salty. I tend to stick to my non-sweetened cold version. The just blended soy fragrance is very refreshing and much unlike the commercial stuff in the carton.

Other than soy milk. Yong Hei also serves breakfast items such as noodles, congee, buns, and even xiang long bao (soup buns). Needing something not too heavy or messy before my meeting, I chose the pork and preserved veggie stuffed rice. Just the right size, it was filling and flavorful. I particularly liked the fact that the rice here is not too sticky and is loosely packed so as not to sink to the bottom of the stomach and weigh me down.

After so much flying in such a short time, I am looking forward to some good southeast asian eats this weekend with the family.

Btw, if you don't see many posts, it's because blogger as well as facebook are censored in China.

No comments: